******* please respond to the discussion below add citations and references 🙂 ********A current problem in nursing is the shortage of nurses available to fill open positions needed to care for patients. The nursing shortage is a problem in Florida as there are not enough nurses to completely staff healthcare facilities, which then creates issues with covering open shifts with the available nursing staff as the nursing staff is already working longer hours and short staffed regularly, and can result in patient care not being as effective or efficient. Any time a nurse calls off, the charge nurse will call around to find another nurse who is willing to work on their day off. The benefits of a research study on the nursing shortage could help find ways to possibly increase people’s interests in a nursing career, and ways to help retain nurses at facilities and provide better care for patients at the facilities.A study conducted by Cambridge University on healthcare staffing showed having decreased numbers of nurses had the potential to cause harm. It increased the risk for patients and increased cost to the facilities from the infection data gathered. The cost to the facilities for healthcare acquired infections was higher than the cost to hire more healthcare staff, which would reduce the healthcare acquired infections (Sapatkin, 2012). Although the issue of “inappropriate staffing” has been a topic of discussion for many facilities that employ nurses, it continues to be an issue that creates a negative impact on patient care and predisposes the nurse to making medical errors (ANA, 2016). Another problem nurses encounter with overworked, understaffed nurses due to feeling rushed are back injuries from not using appropriate body mechanics and ergonomics, needle pokes, and getting sick.Urinary Tract Infections have occurred from nurses holding in their urine for long periods of time. Nurses are drawn away from bedside nursing due to the stress of being understaffed. Due to this continued problem, this issue, although studied many times already, should continue to be evaluated and studied. The study shows that having the appropriate amount of staff at healthcare facilities is beneficial to not only to the patient, but the facility also. To build upon this and complete other similar research could improve healthcare staffing in facilities in areas, such as Florida, where there are not enough nurses available to fill open positions.ReferenceSapatkin, D. (2012). Penn study examines link between nurse burnout care Retrieved from http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-31/news/32943021_1_infection-data-Infection-control-center-for-health-outcomesANA. (2016). Top Issues for Staff Nurses. Retrieved from American Nurses Association: http://www.nursingworld.org/EspeciallyForYou/Staff-Nurses/staffnurses
We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before, we can also do it for you.
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.