Please, answer each question in a paragraph or so, following the instructions in the attached files.
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Intercultural Communication Exam 2
Spring/Summer 2019, Barthé
Deadline: July 29, 2019, 8PM
1) Create a file in MS Word and name it with the following convention:
2) Answer each question FULLY, and in paragraph form. Each paragraph MUST HAVE a thesis/topic
sentence. That thesis/topic sentence must have EVIDENCE to back it up. You must give an
EXPLANATION of your evidence, no matter how obvious that explanation may be. This is NOT
NEGOTIABLE and a REQUIREMENT for every question.
3) Under no circumstances should you leave any question blank. Even if you are uncertain of your
answer, giving any answer at all is better than not answering a question. Essay questions allow you to
show what you know: so, show what you know, even if you are unsure of your answer. Any answer is
better than no answer at all.
4) Each answer will be graded based on the following criteria:
-is the form of the answer correct/does the answer include evidence? I don’t have to agree with your
arguments, but you have to articulate your answers as ARGUMENTS, and arguments include
-is the answer logically consistent (-2)?
-does the answer make any non-factual assertions (-2)?
-is the grammar and language of the answer clear and correct (-2)
5) The final deadline for submission of this exam is 8PM, July 29, 2019. You must submit your finished
exam, to me via email by then. If for any reason, you are unable to meet this deadline, you must
contact me as soon as you realize that your submission will be late.
1) What is the difference between a “being culture,” a “being-in-becoming culture,” and a “doing
2) Cultural taxonomies allow one to use culture-specific knowledge to improve intercultural
competence. What are the four steps involved in this process?
3) What distinction can be made between “prejudice” and “discrimination?”
4) What is the difference between individual bigotry and systemic discrimination and oppression?
5) True of False: in every instance, prejudice is unjust and unreasonable. Why or why not?
6) True or False: women may be sexist, but women may not wield sexism against men. Why or why not?
7) What is the difference between a “language” and a “dialect?”
8) Give an example of “code switching.”
9) What is Orit Shay’s argument in “To switch or not to switch: code switching in a multilingual
10) What evidence does Shay use to make their argument and is Shay’s observations useful for a context
like the US?
Our essay writing service fulfills every request with the highest level of urgency